|PLANET: Sun||ELEMENT: Fire|
|TASTE: bitter, pungent||VIPAKA: pungent|
|WARMTH: cooling||DOSHAS: V+P-K-|
MERIDIANS: liver, heart, lungs
INDICATIONS: irregular menses, fever, erruptive diseases (eg measles, chicken pox), externally for burns, rashes, sore nipples, diaper rash, gastric and duodenal ulcers, dysmenorrhea,
PRECAUTIONS: considered completely safe
CONSTITUENTS: essential oil containing carotenoids (caroene, calenduline, lycopine)(see below), also triterpenes, pentacyclic alcohols such as faradol, anidiol, calenduladiol, heliantriol, flavonoids, isorhamnetin clycosides including narcissin and quercitin, chlorogenic acid, a saponin, resin, and bitter principle.
PREPARATION AND USE:
-3-6 grams in infusion
-1 tsp in 1 cup boiling water three times daily
-cold infused oil or aqueous infusion are used in creams and lotions for burns and rashes
NUTRITIONAL USE: often used as a decorative edible flower in salads
USE IN MAGIC: Protection, Prophetic dreams, Legal matters, Psychic powers
- picked at noon when the sun is strongest, will strengthen and comfort the heart
- hung over doors to prevent evil from entering
- scattered under bed to protect during sleep
- make dreams come true
- help you dream the identity of one who has robbed you
- added to bath water to win respect and admiration
- carried in pocket to help win justice in legal matters
- if a girl touches the petals of marigold with bare feet, she will understand the language of the birds
- looking at the flowers strengthens the heart
- oil (made by maceration) or an incense of the petals is used in consecrating magical tools
- often used in rituals to honour the Goddess, and especially at Beltane
- blossoms collected when the Moon is in Virgo may help you have visions of those who have robbed you ro wish to harm you.
- an infusion with marjoram, thume, and absinthe may help you to visions of your beloved
USE IN PERSONAL GROWTH:
-helps one feel the joy of doing one's lifework
-helps one recognise the comfort and security of knowing we are all given all the talents we need.
"I experience the pure joy of knowing I am all I need to be."
THE ESSENTIAL OIL
AROMATHERAPY USES: burns, cuts, eczema, greasy skin, inflammation, insect bites, rashes, wounds. The infused oil can be a valuable carrier for aromatherapeutic skin products.
USE IN MAGIC: Health, Psychic dreams, Comfort
- strengthens and maintains health
- strengthens sight
- sniff the aroma at night to induce psychic dreams
- offers comfort to the weary and distressed
THE FLOWER ESSENCE
PATTERNS OF IMBALANCE: Tendency to use cutting or sharp words, prone to argumentativeness, lack of receptivity in communication with others.
"The Calendula flower imparts a warm, golden light of healing for those souls who must learn to use "the Word" as a truly creative spiritual force. The Word is the source of all creation, ever renewing itself through the womb of Nature. Thus Calendula is also known as "Mary's Gold"; for the golden sun-radiance of the Word must be birthed through the receptive feminine matrix. In every human communication there is always this masculine and feminine polarity, of that which is spoken and that which is heard, or received. Calendula flower essence helps those whose innate creative potential to use the spoken word often deteriorates into argument and misunderstanding. It is especially indicated for personal relationship work, and for all healing and teaching work when the art of communication must be intensively developed as a soul force. Calendula gives great forces of warmth and benign compassion to the human soul; especially helping to balance the active and receptive modes of communication. "
Flower Essence information quoted from Patricia Kaminski and Richard Katz, Flower Essence Repertory, The Flower Essence Society, Nevada City, CA. ISBN 0-9631306-1-7