Hyssopus officinalis: Labiatae
|PLANET: Jupiter||ELEMENT: Fire|
|TASTE: pungent, bitter||VIPAKA: pungent|
|WARMTH: heating||DOSHAS: V- P+ K-|
MERIDIANS: Lung, Spleen, Colon
ACTIONS: expectorant, antispasmodic, carminative, diuretic, diaphoretic, astringent, antiviral (with proven activity against H. simplex), antifungal, anthelminthic, stimulant, anti-catarrhal, anti-depressant, sedative, anti-lithic, emmenagogue, cicatrisant.
INDICATIONS: acute or chronic bronchitis, asthma, cough, whooping cough, Tuberculosis, hayfever, fever, onset of colds or flu, nasal congestion, remittent fevers, high or low blood pressure, melancholy, weakness, cholic, intestinal paracytes, urinary stones or sand, amenorrhea, ear/nose/throat infections, bruises, eczema, psoriasis
PRECAUTIONS: the essential oil is the most concentrated form of hyssop, and a dose of more than 2-3 drops should not be used, as it may induce seizures. The oil should be avoided by epileptics. Do not use any preparation of hyssop when pregnant.
CONSTITUENTS: 0.3 - 2% essential oil (see below), a glucoside called HYSSOPIN, flavonoids hesperidin and diosmine, 5-8 % tannins, ursolic acid, oleanolic acid, sitosterol, marrubiin, resin, and gum.
PREPARATION AND USE:
-hot infusion used as stimulant and diaphoretic
-as a syrup for cough or lung conditions
-tincture for lung conditions or worms, 10-30 drops three times daily
-mix equal parts tinctures of hyssop and mullein for stubborn asthmatic problems
-use infusion as gargle for sore throat or toothache, or as a wash for wounds and bruises
USE IN MAGIC: Purification
- added to purification and pre-ritual baths, infused and sprinkled over people and objects to cleanse them, and scattered or hung in homes to cleanse and protect from harm
- hung in windows and doors as protection against burglars and negative energies
- best choice for a sprinkler for holy water or waters of purification
- used as a broom for cleansing sacred space
- gather under the New Moon in Cancer and dry until the Full Moon or longer
- the oil may be rubbed into the hands for aura cleansing and healing by laying on of hands
- place fresh hyssop in a vase and allow the scent to clean a room
- used to consecrate magical tools made of tin
- use the herb to cleanse and charge Amethyst or Lapis
USE IN PERSONAL GROWTH:
-may be used for clarity of thought
-may be used to induce a state of humility
-may be used to help clear the type of shame that keeps one from accepting the gifts that will allow growth to one's full potential.
"I release the shame that holds me back."
THE ESSENTIAL OIL
AROMATHERAPY USES: generally not used in aromatherapy due to toxicity.
NOTE: Hyssop oil can induce seizures
USE IN MAGIC: Purification, clarity of mind
- use small amounts in purification oils
- sniff to clear the mind
THE FLOWER ESSENCEFrom Flower Essence Services, California: for respiratory conditions, especially those linked to stress and nervousness
From Harebell Remedies, Scotland: for helping to acknowledge and release guilt; to confront the true cause of your feelings and forgive yourself.